Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pisgah "Red" Devil

Pisgah Brewing Co.   Asheville, NC

Ruby red in color, with almost a berry wine appearance...smells like a cherrywine soda, not beer...am now thrown as to what to expect...not too much carbonation with this one...mouthfeel is light, but it does bring a touch more fluff than the look would suggest...berries and malt lay on the palate...the flavor is something i have to get used to...it has a sweet berry kool-aid taste, with sweet malts and little sign of hops...it's hard to believe the posted ABV (8.5%), becasue this tastes more likea sports drink mixed with a wine cooler than beer...unfortunately I ordered without knowing what the "Red" Devil was exactly & definitely didn't get the hopped up red ale I was hoping for...overall, it's drinkable (though I wouldn't again) and it definitely surprised the hell out of my mouth...I'm gonna have to google this brew when I get home to see what Pisgah was thinking with this one...

Well, I broke down and asked the bartender what style brew this was...she said it was a Belgian Trippel brewed with cherries and local berries...meh...normally I enjoy Pisgah, so I'll definitely be trying again later...

Score:  2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment