Thursday, September 19, 2013

Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier


Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery   Farmville, NC

Notes:
Black Lager
12oz Bottle
5.8% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a dark brown with noticeable brown hues along the edges…head is a light mocha, but very thin and dissipates even after a good swirl…dark and dense though…(3.25/5)

Smell:  Tons of dark malts, I’m getting dry chocolate, oatmeal and roasted malt – an RIS/porter feel right off the bat…a little smoky…full, deep aroma…mildly astringent when I stick my nose deep in there…this really is a good smelling ale, but not overly diverse…dark malts are abundant and abound…it’s nice…(3.5/5)

Taste:  Hmm…my initial feel is that its tastes like a non-hoppy black IPA…I’m getting tons of roasted malts (and maybe some barley), light oatmeal, light chocolate – then it sorta stops and where I’d expect a bitter, hoppy bite, there’s a soft, grassy/wheaty-ness that doesn’t attack my taste buds…oatmeal flavor stands out…very nice…(3.75/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body…carbonation is also light, but enough to bring a nice roasted malt/light oatmeal flavor to the palate…this thing is hitting the back of my tongue with awesome flavor, but brings little in the bitterness (sides of tongue) category…wet, smooth and crisp…after taste fades leaving me wanting more…an easy, malty sipper for sure…(3.5/5)

Overall:  I’m very surprised by what I got from a “black lager”…I typically don’t choose lagers when selecting beers at the store, but with this being a Duck-Rabbit production, I took a chance…unfortunately, I only got one because this thing drinks very easy and packs tons of dark, malty flavor…this is a great brew for hanging with friends around a fire or watching some football in a recliner…yum! certainly a seasonal that is fading out, if you see this hanging around your beer store, grab one and enjoy! (3.75/5)

Score:
 (3.58/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment