Sunday, February 24, 2013

Green Flash Barleywine Style

Green Flash Brewing Co.   San Diego, CA

Notes:
Barley Wine
22oz Bottle
10.9% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a caramel mahogany color…some very light khaki colored head formed and a thin layer remains…though it’s dark, it’s fairly transparent and I don’t see too many bubbles happening…honestly, there’s not much life here, kinda looks like an average beer…(3.25/5)

Smell:  It’s sweet, but not overly candy sweet…I’m getting that dark cherry/strawberry sweetness aroma, but it’s not as strong as other barleywines I’ve had…I’m also picking up some toffee, caramel, spices, pepper, piney hops, earthiness…light dark fruit, a touch of brown sugar and some alcohol heat…I definitely get a little more amber malt than I normally do as well…it’s nice, but not overly aromatic…though as it warms, there is a stronger aroma that highlights more pepper and spices…(4/5)

Taste:  Yum!  Sweet malts, I’m getting that dark cherry/strawberry sweetness and much like the nose, it’s not candy sweet…it’s more just like sweet caramel amber malts…there’s a good amount of piney, resinous hops flavor there as well balancing and adding to the overall package…it’s almost equal parts sweet amber malts and piney hops…I’m getting some of that brown sugar, fig, spices and booze…I can definitely taste the booze which adds more than subtracts to the flavor...the spices are warming my belly…real good flavor, it’s just a little different from other barleywines I’ve had…it’s got a little bit more of an amber malt flavor than I’m used to…(4.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body, with tons of carbonation…it fluffs up nice bringing more candy sweetness than just in a basic sip, but still it’s not overly candy sweet…it’s mildly chewy, there is some bitterness that hits the outside of my tongue and it ends rather wet with touch of alcohol…(4.25/5)

Overall:  I’m quickly finding another style of beer that I’m liking…this barley wine is not as sweet as some I’ve had and while that’s not a bad thing, it just makes it different…the malt flavor is a little too amber malt for me, but that’s the only “knock” I’ve got and probably just a personal preference…the piney resinous hop flavor is strong and complimentary…this is a solid brew that doesn’t take long to be effective but isn’t too strong to cloud my judgment either…very drinkable and easily recommendable…I definitely want to get at least one more for the future…it’s got a vintage date which usually means it can survive in a cellar for at least a couple of years and I think i might just try that…if you just want a beer to sit back and relax with, this is a great choice…shoot, this is a great choice for disc golfing with and that’s my highest honor! I have to say, the more I drink, the more I like this brew…(4/5)

Score:
(4.05/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment