Monday, July 8, 2013

Founders Double Trouble

Founders Brewing Co.   Grand Rapids, MI

Notes:
Double IPA
12oz Bottle
9.4% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a sumptuous caramel brown with lighter golden hues on the bottom…fairly transparent, I can see a few bubbles working in the middle…head is off white and thin…it does liven up with a few swirls, but then settles to a wispy thin layer…(3.5/5)

Smell:  Tons of rich hops aroma with a nice sweetness underlying…pale, caramel malts balance out this hopfest, so while I know there are a ton of hops in there, I’m not overwhelmed by them in the nose…piney, rich, syrupy hops smell waters my mouth…maybe just a touch of honey…very inviting! (4.25/5)

Taste:  Piney, earthy hops hit my tongue bringing tons of flavor and bitterness…there’s a real tropical (mango, unripe pineapple) sweetness that’s also involved in the initial impact…malts are definitely playing a background role here, but I do pick up the caramel taste that does take a bit of the edge off all the bitterness…robust, syrupy, pine resin flavor remains in the third phase and holds on for dear life…tons of hops bitterness! Yum! (4.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body…carbonation is plentiful and brings earthy, resiny pine hops bitterness to the palate…robust, chewy and surprisingly smooth…I take a sip, I swirl it around and flavor just continues to develop…but it certainly goes down easy…tons of piney bitterness lingers into the after taste for several minutes…the outside of my tongue tingles in IBU’s…(4.5/5)

Overall:  An outstanding brew! I’m all about the hops - IPA’s, double IPA’s, black ales, dry hopped reds – you name it and this is one that stands out for sure…it’s got a really nice sweetness and caramel tone that keeps this train from getting out of control…all while taking me straight to flavortown…while its elevated ABV ensures a smile on my face…if you are like me and enjoy higher gravity IPA’s, than Double Trouble is for you…this is a true palate wrecker…highly recommended, seek this one out and enjoy! (4.5/5) 

Score:
(4.24/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment