Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot

Lagunitas Brewing Co.   Petaluma, CA

Notes:
American Strong Ale
22oz Bottle
7.83% ABV

Appearance:  Pours a deep mahogany to brown color…it’s dark in color, but fairly transparent…a nice thick layer of light khaki color head did form and remained…a good lookin’ brew…(4/5)

Smell:  Very malt heavy up front with touches of rye and it’s peppery bite…not overly sweet, I’m getting woodsy/piney (and the lightest citrus) hops notes in there as well…tons of earthiness, I’m not sure if it’s the malt or hops doing this…musty and mildly robust…nice…(4/5)

Taste:  Much like the nose, there’s really one distinct flavor from beginning to end, piney/earthy/woodsy hops blended with earthy/rye malts…a faint citrusy lightness does show up late in the taste and takes a bit of the robust punch out of the finish…(4/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body with light carbonation…doesn’t fluff up much, but does bring some of that peppery rye bite to the fore…fairly wet and straight forward…tons of robust earthy/musty/woodsy hops bitterness lingering in the after taste…it could be a touch fuller…(3.75/5)

Overall:  This is a good beer…I’ve been trying to drink more seasonably lately and when I saw this hit the store’s shelves earlier this week, I happily took the plunge…Lagunitas is turning out to be one of my favorite breweries, their beer has tons of flavor and hops and I haven’t had anything that has disappointed…I wasn’t expecting a rye kick before tasting, but fell in love as soon as I did…rye ales have been all over my radar as of lately and this one continues on that trend…I would consider this the malty version of the Bell’s Smitten…could it be more, sure, but what they have here is a solid brew that is worth picking up and enjoying…it goes well with a Tiger Woods sunday performance…(4/5)

Score:
(3.95/5)


No comments:

Post a Comment