Sunday, August 18, 2013

Evil Twin Falco

Evil Twin Brewing Co.   Denmark


Notes:
American IPA
12oz Bottle
7.0% ABV


Appearance:  A very blond IPA, it’s a light golden color…head started thin and has quickly dissipated to a wispy nothing…it doesn’t even really liven up with a swirl…light for an IPA…(2.75/5)

Smell:  Very light, I’m expecting a “white” IPA flavor…yeast, lemon zest, honey, pine resin bitterness…malts have a light pale/earthy presence…the more I smell it, the more I get the light, refreshing citrus bitterness that I really like…as it warms, the piney sensation brings more of a bite and becomes the dominate aroma…nice…(3.75/5)

Taste:  Yum! A really rich hop flavor happening here…piney resin galore, with a strong flavor of light pale malts…the hops profile is something that I’ve had (or close to) but the pale pale malts are a different twist that I really like…it’s rich and robust with a drinkability of a pale ale…I wouldn’t call this a white per se, I’m not getting that full yeasty flavor, but it’s one of the lighter IPA’s I’ve ever had…really good, a great twist on an overdone category…(4.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light body, very light…carbonation is medium, fluff brings a grassy bitterness to the palate…the back and sides of my tongue are tingling, very bitter! There’s a malty bitterness lingering in the after taste…very balanced brew…(3.75/5)

Overall:  This is a great brew…I was expecting something more Belgiany in flavor but this is not that…it’s got tons of hops and bitterness but is backed by a very drinkable malt profile that brings something totally different from what breweries are typically doing…this was a splurge purchase, at $3.75 a 12 ounce bottle, but it turned out totally worth it…I highly recommend giving this one a try if you’re a hop head like me or just like branching out to new things…I’m searching this one out again…(4/5)

Score:
(3.82/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment