Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck

Duck-Rabbit Brewing Co.   Farmville, NC

Notes:
Imperial Stout
12oz Bottle
10% ABV

Appearance:  Pours a black with dark brown around the edges…dark and dense…head is very minimal, to a disappointing level…I swirl it around and only a thin layer of mocha head forms and than disappears…would definitely like to see a bit more…(2.5/5)

Smell:  Tons of roasted malts, roasted coffee bitterness, oatmeal and mild dry chocolate aroma bursts out of the glass…very much an imperial stout in smell…a mild dark fruit (raisin/fig) sweetness also apparent, but this is a roasted flavorfest for sure…as it warms, I do pick up a bit more of the citrus/earthy/piney hops…deep, dark and mouthwatering…(4/5)

Taste:  Tons of roasted malts and oatmeal dryness right off the bat…this thing smacks you in the face with flavor…roasted coffee bitterness is very strong in the middle phase…earthy/light citrus hops bitterness also comes through, tingling the outsides of my tongue…robust and flavorful, this brew tingles the senses…(4.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body, very nice for the style…carbonation is medium to high, bringing tons of roasted malt and oatmeal to the palate…it’s like a blanket of flavor laying atop my tongue, and I like it…rich, robust, smooth and silky…finishes much lighter than it begins, though there is tons of malt and bitterness to tide me over ‘til the next sip…(4/5)

Overall:  Another success from one of my favorite breweries! Rich, creamy and flavorful, this Imperial Stout comes with all the hallmarks of the category with a superb drinkability that makes it a standout...my only knock is the lack of head upon pouring, but the flavor does enough for me to overlook this...I'm a little surprise to find that it's being brewed in the summer, hopefully it'll come back around in a few months when i'll need a little warming...well worth the $12.99/six price tag, if you are hanging in the N.C. area and see this one on the shelf, scoop it up...you'll thank me later...(4/5)

Score:
(3.91/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment