Saturday, May 25, 2013

Woodstock Inn Pig's Ear Brown Ale

Woodstock Inn Brewery   North Woodstock, NH

Notes:
English Brown Ale
12oz Bottle
4.3% ABV
25 IBU


Appearance:  Pours a mahogany brown color…a dense color, I can see a few bubbles hugging the glass…head is light khaki and remains a thin, wispy layer on top, but does perk up with a couple of swirls…(3.5/5)

Smell:  Nutty brown malts, English musky yeast and a light oatmeal up front…very malt heavy, but its nice…I’m also picking up some more graininess and just a hint of like dark cherry cake, it’s kinda doughy…it’s not a robust smell, just very earthy, rich and malty…nice…(4/5)

Taste:  Yum!  Straight earthy, nutty brown malts mixed with a flavorful (English I presume) yeast strain that combines making a tasty beverage…there’s a mild dark cherry sweetness that springs this somewhat tame brown ale into life…there’s a mild roasted flavor, but it’s certainly not overdone…the more I drink, I get the slightest hint of light lemony/grassy hops bitterness…very subtle though…this thing is simple, but very tasty…(4/5)
           
Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body…there’s medium carbonation that fluffs up brings rich brown, mildly sweet malts to the palate…a very clean brown ale, nothing heavy about this…maltiness lingers into the after taste…(3.75/5)

Overall:  Browns aren’t always my favorite, but I’m really digging this one…really a perfect brown ale for the summer, flavorful, light and a bit lower in ABV…this is my first time having this brew and I have to say I’m impressed…well worth a six pack pickup…this brew would fit well with an afternoon of drinking on a Memorial Day Sunday…cheers to that! (4/5)

Score:
(3.89/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment