Saturday, February 23, 2013

Two Brothers 91 Shilling

 Two Brothers Brewing Co.   Warrenville, IL

Notes:
Scottish Ale
22oz Bottle
6.2% ABV
32 IBU

From the bottle:

We found a shilling sitting on the counter of our homebrew supply store one day and had no idea how it got there.  We joked around that it was a sign to brew a Scottish Ale because the strength of them are based on shillings.  We soon came to realize we were meant to brew our version to be “one” more than the traditional 90 shilling. 


Appearance:  Pours a dark brown with some mahogany hues along the edge of the glass…tons of light khaki head formed and a pinky finger width layer remains…dark, dense and only really transparent along the edges…does thin out a bit over time…(3.5/5)

Smell:  Chocolate malts up front…smells almost like a porter combined with a brown ale…toffee, caramel, brown sugar, dark fruit sweetness, breadiness, and a touch of toasted malt…it’s complex while being pretty simple…it’s nice…as it warms, the sweet caramel side of the malts begin to show strong…(4/5)

Taste:  Nutty, caramel, brown sugar, toasted malts, brown malts and a bit breadiness…flavor stays pretty consistent from start to finish with a hint of sweetness and earthy bitterness showing up towards the end…mild lemony/citrus hops appears the more I drink and rounds out the malt flavor nicely…fairly straight forward, this has good taste…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body, light to medium carbonation…it does fluff up a bit and brings with it some lemony bitterness…finishes with a light bitterness and fairly dry…(3.75/5)

Overall:  I haven’t had a Scottish ale in quite sometime, for some reason I always figured I wasn’t gonna like it…boy was I wrong…I’m not sure how indicative of the style this is, but I’m definitely gonna have to try another…Two Brothers is one of my favorite breweries and they’ve done a nice job here…I’m thankful that I have a bomber of this one, as I will be enjoying the rest of this while I watch some hockey on this bitter cold afternoon…Two Bros bombers are becoming harder to find but I have seen this one still around town…if you happen to stumble upon it at your local beverage depot, it’s worth picking up, especially for the price ($5.99)…(3.5/5)

Score:
(3.67/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment