Sunday, February 17, 2013

Deschutes Chainbreaker White I.P.A.

Deschutes Brewery Co.   Bend, OR

Notes:
White I.P.A.
12oz Bottle
5.6% ABV

Appearance:  Pours a sour lemon juice yellow…reminiscent of spring with it's look of a floral IPA…very light and delicate…some head did form when I poured it, but not much remains, can’t really even call that a consistent layer…for its light color, it’s real hazy, I can barely see my finger through the glass…it’s an interesting color, but the lack of head is a detriment…(3.5/5)

Smell:  Light, floral, lemon, banana…fresh, lively, and light…it’s like a spring breeze running through a daisy field…definitely has Belgian style qualities, I’m catching hints of yeast, pepper, tropical fruits, coriander, grass, bubblegum…it’s nice, different and refreshing…(4/5)

Taste:  Mildly sour, citrus zesty, yeasty (aka noticeable damp forest/mushroom-like funkiness), floral, grassy, very lively…tons of flavors going on…sweet bready malts, coriander and a touch of lemon peel resin bitterness…YUM! (4/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light body, medium carbonation (very soft feel)…it does fluff up a bit on my palate spreading lemony resinous bitterness…it’s light, refreshing, crisp…very light for something considered an IPA, but it definitely works here…(4.25/5)

Overall:  This is a wonderful variation to the IPA…I wasn’t sure if I would really enjoy a “white” IPA, but this is good, real good…the coriander and yeast don’t over do it here, only enhance and compliment…the flavor is super drinkable and refreshing, this is the perfect summertime brew…I could drink several of these while watching a day game at Wrigley Field or hanging out on the disc golf course over at Hudson Mills and be very happy…this brew came to me highly recommended and now I pass it on to you…if you haven’t tried this uniquely delicious brew yet, now is the time…life is to short to be withholding to yourself…(4.25/5)

Score:
(4.02/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment