Saturday, December 8, 2012

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome

Samuel Smith Brewery   Tadcaster, England

Notes:
Christmas/Seasonal Ale
12oz Bottle
6.0% ABV

I let this one sit in room temperature before doing the review…I’ve find more smell and flavor in this style when it’s not refrigerator temp…


Appearance:  Pours a fairly clear, deep autumn orange…off white head about a thumb width formed…(3/5)

Smell:  Sweet candy and caramel malts…cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, raisin, holiday spice, toasted malt and some alcohol heat…(3/5)

Taste:  Spicy beginning…caramel malts and earthy hops in the middle…holiday spice with some hops bitterness in the end…straight forward, spicy flavor that is a slightly toned down version of what I would expect from an american holiday ale…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body…there is some carbonation that brings caramel bittereness to the fore…no real alcohol heat…finishes rather dry, but my mouth is watering…(3.5/5)

Overall:  A very drinkable and flavorful holiday ale…it’s way more spiced that candy sweet, which does differentiate it from others…it’s warming my belly now…it is a little watery, which makes it crisper, but it does flush the flavor off my palette quicker…it’s got good flavor and very drinkable, but I’d only call this one “average”…(3/5)

Score:

(3.28/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment