Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bell's Hell Hath No Fury

Bell's Brewery   Kalamazoo, MI


Notes:
Belgian Style Dark Ale
12oz Bottle
7.5% ABV

Brewed 10/03/12


Appearance:  Pours a dark brown color with hues of ruby red…very dark and dense…tiny, mocha colored bubbles form a wispy layer of head…looks like a nice brew…(3.5/5)

Smell:  Rich with roasted malts, light oatmeal and dark fruit (fig, plum, dark cherry) sweetness…on the mild side, I’m picking up: coffee, toffee, chocolate and brown sugar like sweetness…no surprise, this is a very malt driven brew…the more I smell, the more I pick up a tinge of alcohol heat as well…yum! (3.75/5)

Taste:  Much like the nose predicts, a highly charged, malt heavy brew here…right off the bat, I’m picking up roasted malts, brown malts and dark cherry/fig/raisin/plum sweetness…very dark fruit sweetness heavy, almost to a fault…no real sign of hops bitterness…this has a very straight forward flavor, nothing complex happening here…the more I drink, the more of a wine flavor I pick up…(3.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium to heavy body…medium to light carbonation fluffs up bringing roasted malts and a bit of dark sweetness to the palate…it’s got a smooth feel on the palate…taste doesn’t linger as long as the brews “feel” does…(3.25/5)

Overall:  I’m new to the art of cellaring beer…for some reason I thought this would be a good candidate, so I’ve kept this one for over a year before drinking…which is a feat of strength! What I got was a malt driven brew that has lost a bit of variety in the flavor…also, it has a bit of a warming effect on my stomach that shouldn’t go unnoticed, perfect for a cool night by the fire…overall, this is a very drinkable brew that has survived the test of time…I’ll definitely buy this again, but I’m gonna stick to drinking it fresh…(3.25/5)


Score:
(3.39/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment