Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Co.   Kiln, MS


Notes:
Rye IPA
12oz Bottle
9% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a nice golden, pale, caramel color…fairly transparent, I can see a few bubbles bubbling in the middle… head is lush, fluffy and off white…a rich, good looking brew…(4/5)

Smell:  Tons of sweetness and rye notes explode out of the bottle upon pouring…a very distinct peppery bite is noticeable and actually makes my mouth water! Sticking my nose in there, I’m getting more of its malty character: pale, rye, sweet…the aroma of this brew is fantastic…orange, mango, pineapple and piney resin also very apparent…very enticing…(4/5)

Taste:  Yum! Tons of flavor going on here…I’m getting all that rye and pale malts mixing so well with citrus hops and bitterness…it’s got tons of flavor from the moment it hits my tongue long into the after taste…there’s a borderline candy sweetness going on that balances the bitterness and malty aspects…orange, pine and mild grassy bitterness begin to stand out the more I drink…tons of rye bite with a touch of caramel malts in there as well…very nice! (4/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body, this thing fluffs up with tons of carbonation bringing rye bite and tons of citrus/earthy/mildly grassy bitterness to the palate…it’s got a mild syrupiness that suggests some dry hopping happened in this beer’s life…tons of bitterness lingers in the after taste…yum! (4/5)

Overall:  A very well done brew…this beer deserves a quiet night where it’s finer features can be fully appreciated…I drank a few of these with friends around and I have to say I didn’t like it nearly as much then as I do now…it’s got tons of flavor, aroma and mouthfeel – all the ingredients for a superb brew...I scooped this up on a road trip to New Orleans and I’m glad I did…if you’re around the Lazy Magnolia distributing area, this brew is worthy of picking up…Yum! (4/5)

Score:
(4/5) 

1 comment:

  1. You need to come west

    Russian river in ca.

    Boneyard in bend oregon

    ReplyDelete