Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout

 Lagunitas Brewing Co.   Petaluma, CA


Notes:
Imperial Stout
22oz Bottle
9.2% ABV
29.5 IBUs


Appearance:  Pours a deep, dark reddish purplish brown…tons of khaki colored head formed and remained…(4/5)

Smell:  Deep, dark coffee aroma…chocolate notes, roasted nuts and alcohol heat also apparent…some cream and caramel deep in there…(3.5/5)

Taste:  Robust cappuccino flavor right off the bat followed by the roasted malt base…this beer doesn’t mess around with the coffee flavor, it is strong and dominant throughout the entire sip…there is a touch of creaminess to it (though I coulda used a bit more) and I do sense some bitterness towards the end…not as much cocoa as I would have anticipated or liked…some earthy hops do resonate, but I really have to focus past the intense coffee taste to detect anything else…(3/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium to full bodied, nothing watery here…medium carbonation…it’s rather smooth for such a heavy beer…there is some bitterness and coffee acidity in the after taste…(3/5)

Overall:  It’s a quality brew, but a bit overdone…the extreme cappuccino flavor is tasty, but dominates everything in sight leaving absolutely no room for anything else…this could be dialed back a bit to give a more balanced flavor, but that’s just me…the abundance of coffee does produce an acidity that I don’t normally find in beer, which I can’t say I like 15 ounces into my bomber…it’s good and drinkable, but not something I would get overly excited about in the future…I chose to drink this one ‘cause I was getting tired a little too early in the evening and I’m pretty sure I’m now gonna be up for a good couple of hours…maybe I should recommend this for a morning football tailgate…(3/5)

Score:

 (3.23/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment