Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shed India Pale Ale

The Shed Brewery   Stowe, VT

Notes:
English IPA
12oz Bottle
6.0% ABV

From the website:

Named after one of the famous ’front four’ trails on Mt. Mansfield, this I.P.A. is brewed in the English tradition of pale ales shipped from Britain, around Africa, to India. Those ales contained extra hops and a higher alcohol percentage, which both served as natural preservatives. This ale holds true to those original, defining characteristics. Formerly known as "National IPA" at The Shed Restaurant & Brewery.


Appearance:  Pours a hazy golden orange color…not overly transparent, I can see a bunch of sediment and a few bubbles floating about…just off white head formed and remains at about a pinky finger thick…stays fairly frothy throughout…(4/5)

Smell:  Light, fresh hops, mouthwatering really…orange, lemon, grapefruit and some mild piney bite up front…though very hops heavy, it’s a light, crisp smell, dominated more by airy citrus aromas rather than earthy or woodsiness…malts are sweet and pale with a touch of caramel, very much in a supporting role…I have to say, the more I smell this thing (and as it warms), the more I get that piney resinous bite…very nice…(3.75/5)

Taste:  Hmmm…very balanced flavor, not what I was expecting…toasted/caramel malts mixed with earthy/piney hops up front…there’s the noticeable piney bite, but there’s not an extreme citrus bitterness that I was expecting from the nose…I do get some orange, lemon and grapefruit, but they are definitely complimentary…the bitterness that does come is very dank pine and that doesn’t come until late…it’s a fairly straight forward flavor, finishes basically as it begins…as it warms, more and more piney bite hits the tongue…(3.75/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body with medium carbonation…it fluffs up bringing light flavors of caramel malt and piney/earthy bitterness to the palate…brew really comes in and out without leaving much trace on my tongue, though there is some piney bitterness lingering in the after taste…(3.5/5)


Overall:  This is a solid brew…the flavor has a fantastic bite and is surprisingly balanced…super drinkable with light enough body, I could enjoy a couple in one sitting without feeling heavy…while it’s not mind blowing, The Shed’s IPA is worth seeking out and scooping up…thanks to my boy Chaco Taco for hooking me up with this one…if it were sold around me, I’d buy it again…(3.75/5)

Score:
(3.72/5)


No comments:

Post a Comment