Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lost Coast Winterbraun

 Lost Coast Brewery   Eureka, CA

Notes:
English Brown Ale
12oz Bottle
8.0% ABV

From their website:

A full-bodied, brown ale with a rich chocolate taste created from roasted chocolate and caramel malts. Topped with Czech Saaz Hops to give it a spicy flavor and aroma.

Appearance:  Pours a deep mahogany, almost brown color…not overly transparent…some light khaki colored head did form and a thin layer lasted…(3.75/5)

Smell:  Cocao nibs right off the bat…pale malts, caramel, cream, fig, some earthiness…some alcohol heat…very nice, but there could be more I’m thinking…as it warms, the chocolate really does flourish…I had to rescore it because it really does come to life after about 15 minutes out of the fridge…(4/5)

Taste:  Yum!  Creamy chocolate opening…pale malts, brown sugar, caramel, dark fruit sweetness, toffee, some earthy hops…there is a little alcohol heat, but it blends well with all the other flavors…Yum! (4.5/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium to full body…great carbonation making an awesome chocolate fluff on my palette…fairly smooth, does leave chocolate maltiness on my tongue…flavor lasts long after swallowing…no real bitterness to be found…(4.5/5)

Overall:  This is a very drinkable beer…the chocolate malts work wonders on my tongue and all I want to do is drink more and more…easy, smooth and flavorful, one of these isn’t enough and six would send me caroling through the streets…let this one sit at room temp (out of the fridge) for 10 minutes or so before opening to find tons more flavor and aroma…the only thing that holds this back from being exceptional is the lack of head retention…I like beers that do leave a little fluff on the mustache (I don’t really have one, but you get the idea)…highly recommended for a sit-around with friends while opening those festive gifts or just chatting it up…Yum! (4.5/5)

Score:

 (4.30/5)

1 comment:

  1. I think it is the best Lost Coast Brewery has to offer. I live in Eureka and I do not drink anything else from them.

    ReplyDelete