Sunday, June 30, 2013

Weyerbacker Old Heathen

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.   Easton, PA

Notes:
Imperial Stout
12oz Bottle
8.0% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a dense, black color…head is mocha colored, full of tiny bubbles, making a lush, fluffy cloud…settles to a thin layer but does liven up with a couple of swirls…(3.75/5)

Smell:  Roasted malts, oatmeal and light coffee bitterness hit my nose first…it’s noticeably earthy and has a slight alcohol astringent presence…there is a slight airy citrus quality that I pick up late in the overall aroma…it’s got a nice imperial stout smell, but it’s not unusual or unique by any means…as it warms, the oatmeal becomes more apparent, bringing more depth and robustness…(3.75/5)

Taste:  Much like the nose…roasted malts, light oatmeal and mild coffee bitterness up front…flavor lingers on my tongue, leaving mostly robust roasted malts to savor…there is a faint dark fruit sweetness happening here, that takes the edge off the typical “imperial” stout flavor…it certainly has a noticeable alcohol astringent notes happening as well…this is a straight forward flavor, with little exotic going on here...flavor takes on more of the robust, “imperial” feel as it warms…(3.75/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body for this style…there is medium carbonation here as well, fluffing up bringing roasted malts and light coffee bitterness to the palate…I find it to be smoother and lighter than most imperial stouts…roasted malts and oatmeal (more as it warms) linger well into the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall:  While this is a solid brew, it’s not the best thing I’ve had from Weyerbacher…for me, imperial stouts should have a chewiness that I can really get a hold of and a bit more depth in flavor, which Old Heathen lacks…I feeling all those roasted malts, but I wish I had more oatmeal, coffee bitterness or something to round it all off…I’m left feeling a bit of wanting from this brew…not to say that I’m not enjoying it, because I most certainly am…if like me, you find it on a mix-a-six wall, then by all means scoop one up, however I won’t be stocking my fridge or closet full of this one…I have to say, the warmer this thing gets, the better the flavor is…let this one sit out for a few minutes before enjoying for sure…(3.75/5)

Score:
(3.70/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment