Thursday, June 20, 2013

White Birch Ol' Cattywhompus

White Birch Brewing Co.   Hooksett, NH

Notes:
American Barley Wine
22oz Bottle
9.0% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a dark, dark brown…very dense…head is a deeper khaki color made up of a mix of big and little bubbles…with a quick swirl, it livens up to a finger width…settles to a very nice layer…a good looking brew…(4/5)

Smell:  Tons of brown malt up front…I’m also picking up a strong earthy/citrus hoppy aroma with an earthy malty bite…not overly sweet or yeasty…sticking my nose in deep, I get some oatmeal, noticeable alcohol heat and a touch of coffee bitterness…very much unlike most barley wines, very earthy, brown and not sweet…nice though…(3.75/5)

Taste:  Yum! Earthy brown malts up front, sweeping over my palate…there’s a real earthy/citrusy hops presence that comes in the second phase and plays a background role…the malt flavor though is very abundant and seems to be varied…the more I sip, the more the oatmeal, toffee and coffee bitterness show…I think the flavor gets is a bit better as it warms…a very good ale here…(4.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body, with tons of carbonation…this thing fluffs up bringing tons of malty goodness (and bite) and a touch of citrus hops to the palate…each sip coats my tongue leaving flavor for minutes…earthy malts linger well into the after taste…yum! (4/5)

Overall:  This is a yummy brew…it’s very much unlike any barley wine I can think of in flavor, that’s for sure…it definitely blurs the lines between black IPA, porter, stout and apparently barley wine…if it wasn’t labeled as such, I woulda considered this a black IPA because of its strong hops presence…as it is, it’s a wonderful beer that’s easy to recommend…I suspect with its easy drinkability and higher ABV, I’m gonna be feeling real good in no time…this is the perfect brew to sit back and watch a game 7 with…very unique in flavor, I highly recommend picking one of these up! (4.25/5)

Score:
(4.05/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment