Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bluegrass American Pale Ale

Bluegrass Brewing Co.   Louisville, KY

Notes:
American Pale Ale
12oz Bottle
5.8% ABV


Appearance:  Pours a golden orange…there’s a light hazy that limits the transparency a touch but still allows me to see a couple bubbles in the center…very little head to speak of, only the thinnest layer covers the top…a very average looking brew, though I do like the hue…(3/5)

Smell:  Dank, musky hops up front…very earthy and woodsy and dank…there’s a creamy bitterness that comes with all that hops…malts are also apparent, there’s a real pale, caramel side to the aroma…there’s a mushroom/yeast/wet foot thing happening here too…the dank/earthy tones have a bit of a bite to’em, bringing a chewiness to the overall smell…well balanced…(3.5/5)

Taste:  Creamy dank/earthy hops balanced by caramel and pale malts…it’s very creamy…no doubt this is covered with English hops, I have a rich earthy/musky flavor all over my tongue…earthy and caramel malts try to balance things out, but come up short…this is a runaway train of English hops…(2.75/5)


Mouthfeel:  Medium body with tons of carbonation…this thing fluffs into an enormous cloud bring dank and mild lemony bitterness to the palate…this is one of the more foamy beers I’ve ever experienced…dank bitterness lasts well into the after taste…(3.75/5)

Overall:  This style of APA is not my favorite and therefore is hard for me to write a good review about…is it bad? No, but for me it borderlines on it…I’ve deduced that I don’t typically like English hops, so when I crack open a fresh, unknown brew and I get that distinguishable smell, I cringe…beer is hard to bad mouth, but seeing as I do a review blog, I’ll give an honest opinion…this is an average brew that brings tons of flavor but definitely draws a line in the sand between those that do like it and those that don’t…purchasing one of these on a whim is a dice roll…(2.75/5)

Score:
(3.17/5)


No comments:

Post a Comment