Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA

Bluegrass Brewing Co.   Louisville, KY
 
Notes:
I.P.A.
12oz Bottle
8.0% ABV


Appearance:  Pours an amberish orange color…dark and transparent, there’s little bubble action happening…a thin, off white layer of head forms, but settles into something almost non-existent…swirling it around only brings back temporary life…pretty average…(3.5/5)


Smell:  Woodsy, dank hops right off the bat, I could smell the dank bitterness as soon as the cap came off the bottle…it’s very musky, which I’ve been seeing more of lately in the IPA’s I’ve been trying…I also get some sweet, toasted, bisciuty, caramel malt action that has a spiciness to it that’s a mix of rye and black pepper… not a traditional “American” style IPA, very little citrus or zestiness of any kind…(3.5/5)

Taste:  Earthy, mildly dank hops up front…malts are toasted and biscuity, adding to the overall earthiness of the flavor… spicy, herbal, piney hops are noticeable after my palate gets over the initial earthy overthrow (and the beer warms)…there is a light citrus freshness that does hit the outside of my tongue after every swallow…the flavor I have to say, gets better as it warms in my glass…though I have to say, my tongue does tire of this flavor after a while…(3.25/5)

Mouthfeel:  Light to medium body, with medium to full carbonation…brew fluffs bringing earthy bitterness mixed with biscuity maltness to the palate…mildly chewy…earthy, damp woodsy bitterness lingers well into the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall:  This is a good brew…it’s definitely more of a traditional style IPA, very earthy and biscuity…as it warms, it becomes more complex, bringing some noticeable spiciness…while this isn’t my favorite style of IPA, this one isn’t that bad and is something I would actually drink again…9.0% ABV is high and not too apparent in the overall flavor, but I’m sure after a couple of these I’d be feelin’ good…if you see it on a mix-a-six rack, it’s worth picking one up, but don’t expect too much…for me, one is all my palate can handle…(3/5)

Score:
(3.37/5)


No comments:

Post a Comment