Saturday, February 2, 2013

Emelisse Barley Wine Ale

 Bierbrouwerij Grande-Cafe Emelisse   Kamperland, Netherlands

Notes:
Barley Wine Ale
10oz Bottle
10.5% ABV

The bottle states that it was made 5/11 and I’m drinking this on 1/29/13, so it’s already over 1.5 years old…I’m not sure if that’s gonna create a good or bad situation here, but I’m interested to find out…

Appearance:  Pours a deep, dense mahogany…some light, khaki colored head did form, but there’s really only a top coating that remains…TONS of clumped together sediment splashed into the glass, which I should have known to leave in the bottle, but didn’t…looks aged and lacks a bit of carbonation life…(2.75/5)

Smell:  Sweet, candy malts, caramel and toffee up front with a touch alcohol heat…there’s also an aged yeast, over ripped fruit aroma in there…it smells like it’s not fresh…(2.5/5)

Taste:  Sweet, candy malts, caramel, toffee matching the nose…old, it tastes old…(2/5)

Mouthfeel:  Medium body, medium carbonation…it does fluff up a bit bringing more candy malt flavor to the palate…it’s got a rich texture that is borderline syrupy…there is a bitterness in the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall:  I bought this off a mix-a-six rack at my local beer depot…I’ve seen it sold for as much as $5.99 for one, so when I saw it, I scooped it up…I’m not sure what I was expecting from this aged brew, but I got nothing that I like…the flavor tastes like a winter warmer, sweet candy malts with warming alcohol…it’s not bad, but it’s certainly not good…I’m actually worried it’s gonna hurt my stomach if I drink anymore and therefore I’m not…I’m gonna find the hoppiest hopfest I’ve got in the fridge to cleanse my palate…typically I like barley wine style brews when they are fresh and I was contemplating cellaring some in the future, but as of now, that plan is off…it seems to me, beer should be drank fresh…(1/5)

Score:
(2.43/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment